|Elevation||476 ft (145 m)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||326158|
James Earl Carter Jr., 39th President of the United States, grew up on what now is known as the "Jimmy Carter Boyhood Farm", a property currently maintained as part of the Jimmy Carter National Historic Site.
Archery was laid out in 1913. The community was named by William D. Johnson, an A.M.E. bishop, after the "Sublime Order of Archery", an A.M.E. social service organization benefiting poor blacks. The historic railroad community was originally built up chiefly by African Americans, who then formed a majority of its population. A large share of the residents engaged in sharecropping. Archery was first electrified in 1938. Amenities in the community included a train depot, schoolhouse, and country store.
U.S. President Jimmy Carter grew up at Archery on his family's farm from age four, in 1928, until he left for college in 1941. In Carter's time, the population consisted of approximately 25 black families and 2 white families, namely the Watsons and Carters. President Carter recalled in 1976 that Bishop Johnson was "the best-educated, most famous, the most widely traveled, and the richest member of the community". The Carter family remained at Archery until 1949; ownership of the Carter property was transferred to the National Park Service in 1994.
Arts and culture
The Jimmy Carter Boyhood Farm, open to visitors, has been restored to its original rustic appearance. SAM Shortline Railway, a heritage railway open to the public, makes a stop on its route at the Archery Depot in order to allow visitors to lead a self-guided tour.